Thursday, August 16, 2007

JUST LOOKIN'


TodAAy I am just lookin' to see everything I can, if you want to see more, go here ...http://haalfnaakedthursday.blogspot.com/ , care to join me "seeing" what our HP wants for us todAAy? Here is our Daily Reflection reading...

Some of us, though tripped over a very different snag. We clung to the claim that when drinking we never hurt anybody but ourselves.

Twelve Steps and Twelve and Twelve Traditions pg.79

This step seemed so simple. I identified several people whom I had harmed, but they were no longer available. Still, I was uneasy about the Step and avoided conversations dealing with it. In time I learned to investigate those Steps and areas of my life which made me uncomfortable. My search revealed my parents, who had been deeply hurt by my isolation from them; my employer, who worried about my absences, my memory lapses, my temper and the friends that I had shunned, without explanation. As I faced the reality of the harm I had done, Step Eight took on new meaning. I am no longer uncomfortable when I feel clean and light.

I can't even count the number of times I said that the only person I was hurting was me. In typical self centered form, I truly believed my own lies, it was easier at the time to hang onto resentments that allowed me to basically say "F*** them all anyways, my anger being the excuse to drink, and my justification for thinking that I wasn't hurting anyone! In the reading it mentions hurting our parents, and today I know I did that. I remember one time in particular after I had been in a head on collision with a drunk driver going the wrong way on a one way street. Thankfully, I had drank only one drink that night. Thankfully I sustained only an open head concussion that needed only eleven stitches. Unfortunately, my practically brand new Mustang was written off, with a year and a half of payments left on it. Upon leaving the hospital I had to stay with my parents because of the concussion. My mom cried when I got there saying "You could have been killed". My dad said I shouldn't have been driving that night due to the freezing rain. And all I could think of was poor me, I had lost my car! Insanity- yup! Did I drink and drive after that? You bet I did!

Today I am thankful/grateful for the following...

  • to wake up clean and sober and have the choice to remain so
  • I don't intentially hurt anyone
  • if I do hurt some one, I can immediately make amends
  • the love of my family and friends is something I cherish today
  • to have everything I need today, and enough to share too
  • the antics of my baby kitten as he explores and learns and grows
  • every single day AAngel and I hug multiple times, and say we love each other
  • I am not afraid to face my CAS worker when he shows up at our home for a visit (soon)
  • I am a part of a very supportive and loving community of AA here, and in my 'real' life
  • for you and you and your moms and dads who made you!

See ya soon...

13 comments:

msb said...

Thank you. Just what I needed to start my day

Syd said...

Isn't it great to just let go of all those things that really made us miserable? I'm glad that you are here , safe, sober and happy.

Krista said...

Its hard to really grasp the pain you have caused others, the others that love you the most. And when will they truly be able to believe that you have changed? When will I be able to beleieve that I am truly changed? Its a good reminder to make sure that they know how sorry I am, and that I never intentionally meant to scare or hurt them. Good blog. PS. I'm so happy for you and your beautiful daughter. Love you too.

sharonsjourney said...

Me too, me too, me too...all of that. I hurt my mom the most, & she was always there for me. At the time I thot I was only hurting myself, till the last days of my drinking, my conscience kept fucking with me, letting me know how much I was hurting my mom, my sis, my brother. My dad has been dead for some 20 yrs. I have to write him a letter. I've come up with more ways that I hurt my mom & my brother. I got to make some ammends to them before they died, but there are more ammends to be made. It causes alot of pain, because I can't make them personally, so I'll have to write a letter to them too. It hurts! Of course there are others, but they aren't as painful as the hurt I caused my family. I'm so glad my sister is alive, I not only made an ammends to her, I do the living ammends. We get along so well, neither one of us wants to hurt each other anymore.

I will talk to my dr. thanks for your comment, I do this every once in awhile. Maybe I need to change my anti depressent, it doesn't seem to be working as well, tho I must admit, I'm not on my lips like I used to be. That's SOMETHING! Glad to hear from you again, I missed you.

Love You Too, Sharon

The Maven said...

Ah, so true. So, so true!

Also, your baby kitten is ADORABLE!

Also, thank you for lending me your daughter this evening. Can I keep her? She's so wonderful!

*mwah* See you tomorrow!

Shadow said...

ooops, not ready to go there yet.... since i know i've hurt more people than i wish to realise...

Scott M. Frey said...

the things we do in denial, man... amazing when we look back!

Recovery Road London said...

Great post.I wish some in my homegroup could have heard you talk about it.

You're rockin' sweetheart. Thanks for helping me stay sober for another day.

:-)

Mary Christine said...

You are a joy to read about every day. XXXOOO

Scott W said...

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Redhead Gal said...

Thank you for sharing with us.

lash505 said...

That is what I needed and your photo holy mama..

Unknown said...

"Hey Bob"

BILL:]
Hey, hey BOB, I had a SPIRITUAL AWAKENING
Hey, hey BOB, my higher power, will always do
I've waited so long for BOOZE to be through
BOB, I can't wait to meet you
My love, my love

[BOB:]
Hey BILL, I've had a BRAINSTORM too
Hey, hey, hey BILL, I want to meet you too
If your PROGRAM is true, if you love AA, BILL!!
The BIG BOOK will always be real
My love, my love

[BILL&BOB:]
AA means planning a life for two
Being together the whole day through
True SOBRIETY means waiting and hoping that soon
The 12 STEPS will come true
My love, my love
AGENTS FOR SATAN

A REASON A SEASON A LIFETIME
AAWAKENINGS
ALCOHOLIC BRAIN
ANONYMOUS ALCOHOLIC
ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE
BIG SKY MAACK
BLUE'S THOUGHTS
COFFEE BITCH
DRAGON SPEAK
FLOWERDAVES PAGES
FROM THE FIRST CHAKRA (MSB)
HIGHER POWERED
I'M JUST F.I.N.E.
INMATEZ WIFE
IT'S A GIRL THING
LUSH FOR LIFE
MY JOURNEY TO RECOVERY
MY LIFE IN TAMPA
NO COMMENT
OUTRIGHT MENTAL DEFECTIVE
POSTCARDS FROM CUPCAKE MONKEY
RAANCH
RECOVERY ROAD
RIDIN' ON THE WAGON
SCOUT'S NEWCOMER DAZE
SIMPLY ANNA
SOBER CHICK
SOBER MOM
SOBER NUGGETS
SOBERING THOUGHTS
SOBERINSANITY
STAY AT HOME MOTHERDOM
STAYING STRAIGHT EDGE
THIS UNMANAGEABLE LIFE
THY WILL, NOT MINE
TODAAY
TWELVEBEADS
TWO DOGS BLOGGING
YOU AND ME ARE FLOATING...