Sunday, March 25, 2007

HAVING A DAY!

Today I am going to save our daily reading until the end of this post, I practically know it off by heart because I have typed it into my blog three times already! That is why I titled this post "Having a Day" As a matter of fact, yesterday I 'had a day' too! I have referred to this phenomena of 'having days' in previous posts, but for those who aren't up to all of the "lushisms", I will explain...

I coined the phrase when devilchild was younger, about seven or eight, I think. I remember once she was getting ready for school and was in quite a mood! There was lots of yelling that morning accompanied by "I don't want to's " and various other behaviors that I don't feel the need to revisit today! Whenever devilchild left to go to school I always said " bye, I love you, have a great day!", but on this particular morning, my patience had thinned out considerably so I said "bye, I love you, have a day!". Apparently, the child did not appreciate the humour of this statement, and refused to leave until I told her to have a GREAT day!!! It was totally lost on her that only SHE could CHOOSE the kind of day that she would have!

So yesterday started off just fine- thank-you-very-much for me, but then I woke up Angel... and we were off... Maybe she didn't have a good sleep, maybe she didn't appreciate me waking her at the unGodly hour of twelve noon! I'm not sure, but suffice it to say, that all of my AA tools would be utilized in short order. For example- is my serenity linked to persons or events in my day? (No). Do I react with anger to someone else's verbal abuse? (No). Will I act on my immediate impulse to throttle the child for being disrespectful? (ummm, I mean No!). For another point of view to this story go here http://aangeldevilteen.blogspot.com/

What I did do however was pick up the phone (after a lengthy conversation with Angel of WHY I needed to use MY phone) and made several phone calls...all of which went unanswered. First I called the 'house where she lives' and asked them to come pick her up, I had had enough, thankfully they heard what it was that I had had enough of, as I was assaulted by various angry teenager words while I was making this phone call! After that I called my sponsor, but her phone had not been hooked up yet ( due to the red tape of changing phone services) and even though I had lent her my cell for the weekend, I was unable to ge through to her! The third call I made was to a friend, there was nobody home, but I left a message through gritted teeth and a tightened larynx, to please call 'cause I really need to talk to someone!!!

After that I called the house back and spoke to one of the staff who reminded me that , yes, someone was on the way to pick up the child. They suggested that I just leave her alon in her room until my saviour arrived- Hey, I gots NO problem wit dat YO! I have learned through working my program that I do indeed want to retain my sanity! I value myself enough to NOT wave a red flag before a bull! I kinda like the look of my body without angry red welts on it... avoid the child until she has calmed down or until Hell freezes over, whichever comes first! Even I could do that!

Shortly after I had been freed from my misery, I received a teary phone call..."I love you mommy, I'm sorry mommy, can I please come back now mommy,,," In case you're wondering, my 'mommy guilt' got the better of me, and yes my Angel did come back at 8:00 last night and no, there was no blood shed! We had a long talk in which I said that one of the reasons I suggested counselling was that it would be a safe place for Angel to express and dump some of the anger that she has towards me ( albeit warranted). I also told her that to call names and become verbally abusive was NOT an opotion that I would accept today, because I DO NOT deserve that!

And now for our Daily Reflections reading`

I try to hold fast to the truth that a full and thankful heart cannot entertain any great conceits. When brimming with gratitude, one's heartbeat must surely result in outgoing love, the finest emotion that we can ever know. Alcoholics Anonymous pg.37

I believe that we in Alcoholics Anonymous are fortunate in that we are constantly reminded of the need to be grateful and of how important gratitude is to our sobriety. I am truly grateful for the sobriety God has given me through the AA program and am glad I can give back what was given to me so freely. I am grateful not only for sobriety, but for the quality of life my sobriety has brought. God has been gracious enough to give me sober days and a life blessed with peace and contentment, as well as the ability to give and receive love, and the opportunity to serve others- in our fellowship, my family and my community. For that I have "a full and thankful heart".

So I hope I have entertained you all for another day...stay tuned for the next post, in which I was tagged by Inmatez Wife! Peace and love to all today!

16 comments:

Sober Steve said...

That was my old theme song. Now I know what to day if it starts to get bad. It is never to late in the day to start over. Just in case no-one told you today, "I love you, because you are you" Enjoy

peace
Hugs and Kisse
Steve

Devra said...

You know what? It sounds, from what you have described, that the situation isn't as bad as others have been in the past, so maybe both of you are getting in a groove with this. Sometimes slow and steady wins the race. And hey, no one got arrested, so it's gotta be an improvement!

Howz dat for some mommy guilt absolution? Hugs!

Mary Christine said...

It sounds like things worked out as well as they could have. I often say I am having a day, it is a good way to express that it is just a day, whether good or bad, it just is.

Anonymous said...

good for you for sticking to your boundaries and letting your kiddo back to talk things out respectively.I know its tough when out teens tweak.ugh.believe me.
you sound great and that is something your kiddo really needs Lush..those boundaries and your healthy new ways of living.
I don't know how well I could have coped these past couple of years with my eldest son (just turned 18) if I didn't have my "tools" to help with the boundaries,etc!

Michael said...

Message From Noor
I'm sorry, Michael. I'm in a Cyber Cafe in town right now. I can't get access to my Internet since last Friday's night. I guess my CPU was struck down by lightning. I forgot to take out the telephone line and I pay dearly for my carelessness.

I can't always go to my friends' house just to use their computer and this Cyber Cafe are using, most of them are using dial-up connection and it took ages for anything to get loaded. I didn't get the chance to visit all my Recovery Friends' blog and I hope you will spread the words around about my predicaments whenever you visit them.

I'm reaching out for your help to tell them all. You can use My Sacred Links to visit and leave a message on their blogs.

I don't know when I shall be online again. Still waiting for their technician to repair my PC. I was told it may take at least two weeks before I shall be online again.

Oo boy, how can you live without your beloved PC for two long weeks?

Please Michael, I'm counting on you. See you in two weeks time. Bye for now...

Rex said...

Is that red ahir I see on that child? No wonder....I too had to go through this with my own daughter. Now she is almost 21 and we have a great relationship. She has actually called me lately for advice. Unbelievable, since not long ago I was a stupid idiot who knew nothing! You are doing awesome. I am reading this book right now that talks about abuse. It reminds me that my disdain for myself is directly proportional to the level of abuse I allow others to rain on me.....and it sounds like you are loving yourself these days and thats great! Keep on keeping on.

Sunshine said...

That's just wonderful! What a story!!!! What a great healthy way to draw boundaries!!!! You are wonderful Lady! Keep it up!!!

Grace said...

Oh Lord, sounds like quite a ding dong. You seem to have handled it brilliantly, I'd have caved under that!

Judith said...

You and your daughter seem to be muddling through quite well. I should be taking notes since I have a 12 year old boy. All of the boundary issues and how you are holding your temper has been a great example.

"Lushisms"... hee hee!!

I also got a kick out of reading the devilteen's point of view.

Meg Moran said...

oh you have such patience! I'd a told her that her face might get stuck like that. LOL Thank God Jolie is past that stage now YAY! WE survived.

Anonymous said...

ya, I checked out her blog the other day ...this is going to be interesting (maybe even dramatic?) to be reading from both of your blogs as the days roll on by. hehe

lights! camera! action!

My Name Here said...

Whoa---yeah you definatly were having a day! So, the red head thing--it's not just my girls?? LOL! I second Devra--no one got arrested!!! You did good, real good there with this situation. Wanted to let you know, I can also be found at:
http://kickinitmymonkey.blogspot.com/
And am looking forward to the next post--thanks for playing along!

Sober Steve said...

Came back just to check on you. Hope all is well. Ok I came back to hear that song..lol.. I have to go back to work today to see if I have a job or not.

Really hope you and Angel are Great.

peace
Hugs and Kisses
Steve

Michael said...

I know I should always start my day of with a prayer but I never do it in a morning, I usuially do though on an evening when I am taking the dog out though.
Just realised how much Noor does his blogging its took me 2 hours to post that message in all his sacred links!

Scott W said...

Yep, gratitude keeps me sane.

You have been tagged again!

Granny said...

This morning I'm going to the school to see Rochelle (age 12) receive her Student of the Quarter Award. She doesn't know about it.

45 minutes ago I was tempted to knock her into the middle of next week. I didn't.

I'm starting a new 24 hours - again.