Thursday, March 01, 2007

I LOVE MY BLOG WORLD!

Here we are March 1st already. I was prepared to be all depressed and stuff today, remembering that Angel was removed from my care exactly two years ago today. Funny how despite the plans that I try to make my Higher Power always seems to know better! Who'd a thunk that I , Lushgurl, would wake up today full of gratitude, feeling somewhat contented and looking forward to my day? It really is a miracle of 'not me' porportions (how the heck is that spelled?). I have a confession to make though, because I am trying to live an honest life today, and I'm feeling a little guilty that I have received so many great wishes and love from my blogging buddies... OK, here goes, for better or for worse..I don't ACTUALLY celebrate 9 months of sobriety until tomorrow! There, I've told my dirty little secret! I sure hope you all don't come back and delete all the wonderful little thingys you had to say to me... Please!!!! I will most likely make it to tomorrow at this point, and I have yet another example of HIM working to help get me there. Are Ya Ready?

OK, so I have shared before about the job I had last year and how I didn't want to quit working there to go into treatment because surely without ME, the business would close. Do any of you remember? Any way, I know that really I was just looking for an excuse to not go to treatment, and I know that YOU already knew that too right? I guess in that I am not actually all that different! HHMMMPPHHH! The point is though that I somehow got to the point where even though I loved my job, some stuff took place that allowed me to see things from a different perspective...

A) after running the Deli by myself for over a month, we finally hired a new employee (at my request)
B) I trained said employee and gave kudos about her to my boss, thought I had made the right decision
C) I still loved my job, did it very well and heard complaints about 'other gurl' which I handled to the best of my ability
D) I gave MYSELF the title of Ass't Manager, without a pay raise 'cause I was more important than other gurl!
E) Other gurl became annoyed and joined bosses' gurlfriend for Bitch Olympics
F) I called staff meeting to address issues
G) Boss DEMOTED me and took away one of my shifts
H) I pulled a hissy fit and quit with only three days notice... surely Boss would see errors of his ways and beg me to not quit and offer me a pay raise to stay!
I) didn't get offered pay raise, didn't get begged to stay, found myself without a job!
J) drank myself into oblivion for the next two months... boo hoo poor me!!!
K) decided to call Rideauwood treatment program to get sober, at long last
L) found out that Deli did indeed close in May HAH I knew they needed me!
M) attended treatment in June....woohooo
N) have been trudging the road of recovery ever since

OK, so I think you get the picture huh? The thing is I will probably never know exactly why the Deli closed but my over-inflated ego is convinced that it is because I left. There were many times that I felt very guilty about how I quit and the fact that the Deli was no longer around. I even considered calling the boss and begging him to give me another chance to make it work. Thankfully I had many people around to point out how insane this idea actually would be! My boss was my pot dealer, I usually got paid in product if ya know what I mean, and with all the pay advances to buy my alcohol, I would end up owing him at the end of every month...not just a little f-ed up I'd say!

Fast forward to February 28 2007.... I am out paying bills and picking up stuff I need for the month. This USED to include a trip to the liquor store to celebrate, you know, nothing in particular, but since I had extra money at the end of the month, what better to spend it on than extra booze? So in my travels yesterday, I am in the vicinity of the liquor store and up until a couple of months ago, I still got the thought in my head of an old tradition, never acted on it, but still, it would be there in my head! To my amazement though THE LIQUOR STORE IS CLOSED!!! I actually laughed out loud when I discovered this! I don't regularily question that my HP is working in my life, but come on!!!! I wasn't even a little sad about my dicovery, instead I felt kind of relieved. I used to walk to the liquor store to save on bus fare, sometimes I would order it to be delivered if I was feeling rich. It was so close by, easy access, I could partake in my purchases on the way home, a good deal all around. When I finally did quit drinking I told myself " If you can walk to the liquor store in a snow storm, then you have no excuse to not get to a meeting" and this works for me, and in fact, most of the meetings I go to are closer than the liquor store was!

So it seems that as usual my Higher Power has seen fit to remind me that for me, AA IS THE EASIER SOFTER WAY! I might even venture out with a couple of resume's today 'cause the novelty of being broke all the time is not what it once was (read it sucks to wake up so poor everyday!)

Daily reflections for today...
It works, it really does
Alcoholics Anonymous pg.88

When I got sober I initially had faith only in the program of Alcoholics Anonymous. Desperation and fear kept me sober (and maybe a caring and/or tough sponsor helped!) Faith in a Higher Power came much later. This faith came slowly at first, after I began listening to others share at meetings about their experiences- experiences that I had never faced sober, but they were facing with strength from a Higher Power. Out of their sharing came hope that I too would- and could- "get" a Higher Power. In time, I learned that a Higher Power, a faith that works under all conditions- is possible. Today this faith, plus an honesty, open mindedness and a willingness to work the steps of the Program, gives me the serenity that I seek. It works- it really does!

In my part of the world March is 'in like a lamb' so I think I'll go and enjoy another gorgeous day out doors.... Have a great one too Y'all!

I just had to come back to add, that I am crying tears of gratitude and joy right now, after doing some more blog-stalking. I realize how incredibly blessed I am today, with all my new friends who love and care for each other so very much. THIS is what makes it all worthwhile!!!
cyber *GROUP HUGS* TO all

22 comments:

lushgurl said...

Hey Noor, when ya drop by, I mentioned the quote only as an observance, not To get recognition!!! Leave it the way it was if you want! I know HOW IMPORTANT I AM!! lol

Recovery Road London said...

Hey Lushgirl

thnaks for the support and kind words when I was in hospital. I meant a lot. Thanks for helping me stay sober another day.

regards

Kenny x

Anonymous said...

Hey Gurl,
You know, I am usually the late one for all the celebrations around here, so I am sooooo happy to see I have until tomorrow to wish you a happy 9 months!!!!!
Rock on with this post!
Peace,
Scout

Unknown said...

I found you from a comment on Maven's blog. I found her searching mothering.com for 12-step mamas. How glad I am that I did both of those things! I just turned six months in OA. Congratulations to you and good luck.

lash505 said...

we love ya.

Anonymous said...

hilarious. the liqueur store and the deli closed - lol!
great story, thanks for the smile.

march is in like a lamb in your world? we have been hit with an amazing ice storm the past 24 hours. everything is pretty when encased in ice, ain't it?
you would know - you northerner. ;)

God bless and enjoy the next 24

Meg Moran said...

I just love the "run down" on how you quit your job! so familiar...you and I operated the same way!! I would try to hurt "them" by hitting myself in the head with a hammer! Happy 9 mo tomorrow mamma..you have an awesome HP with a great sense of humor...he closed that liquor store just to make you smile.

Granny said...

Well, you could always blame yourself for the liquor store closing down once you stopped shopping there.

My late husband (my sons' dad) used to say he was surprised Budweiser stayed in business after he stopped drinking.

I still have a tendency to take the weight of the world on my shoulders. Everything is my fault.

Congratulations in the 9 months. Keep coming back, it works!!

And thanks for the comment.

ArahMan7 said...

LOL!

Hi LushGurl. How do you that I shall drop by? And I'm lol again to read your message for me. Same time last night (it's 11:11pm here) my usual time to blog stalking, you beat me every time. I'm about 20 mins late. Somehow I miss your blog. 7 of our recovery friends beat me to comment.

It's ok LushGurl. You should read my notice at the very bottom of my blog. Yes, you're IMPORTANT, my friend and I'm glad to put up your name in a large bold letter. Just don't list me on your attention seeking liars links, ha! ha! ha!

Anyway, happy birthday for your nine months. Drop by my blog anytime. I'm about to publish a new post but just like you, I'm blog-stalking before I post it.

Email me if you want to. Love to hear from you. Thanks for being a friend.

Mrs. Random said...

Hey sweetie,

Just wanted to add my support to the long list of well-wishers :)

Steven said...

I like ya as much as one blog reader can like another blog reader....

Just don't go hugging me. ;)

Steve~

Shannon said...

so today 3-2-07 is your 9 months!!!! awesssome!!!!!!!!! YAY

Sober Steve said...

Congrads ON a true nine months,lol. Great job just another 24 hours.

Steve

Sunshine said...

What a wonderful share!!! Thank you SO much!! Congrats tomorrow on 9 months! That's awesome! Keep on keepin' on!

Shauna said...

So much for the lamb thing eh? :)

And whoever heard of a liquor store closing down? Must definately be your HP at work.

Happy 9 months!!! Good on you Lushgurl.

Scott M. Frey said...

congrats on your 9 mos, girl!! yer just lush-us! keep coming back! and its good ot be more important than the other girl sometimes lol

Unknown said...

Happy 9~ and have a wonderful weekend.

Gwen~

Mary Christine said...

Happy 9 months Lushgurl.

Anonymous said...

you can keep the weather ...it's a gift. hehe :p

Anonymous said...

Holy crowded blog here tonight or what?I can't find a seat anywhere.
That is okay.I will share standing up like Big Bird.I hear your trudging and it sounds good..some days are tough but you seem to willing now in this part of your life to move on ...feeling the process not just trusting it!
WOnderFul Share Lush.thank you:)

ArahMan7 said...

Happy, happy nine for ya, LushGurl.

Cori said...

Hmmm, maybe you could go get a government job, and then the gov't would close down...that's a thought!!

Happy 9 Months!