Friday, March 16, 2007

SOMETIMES I WAKE UP CRABBY, SOMETIMES I LET HER SLEEP IN!

Here is the reading from today's Daily Reflections...

My friend suggested what then seemed a novel idea..... "Why don't you choose your own conception of God?" That statement hit me hard. It melted the icy intellectual mountain in whose shadow I had lived and shivered many years. I stood in the sunlight at last. It was only a matter of being willing to believe in a Power greater than myself. Nothing more was required of me to make my beginning.
Alcoholics Anonymous pg. 12

Yesterday was a beautiful and sunny day in my world, and I'm not referring to the weather! Dispite the fact that the night before had been so difficult for me, I continued to do the right things and it all went well in the end! So I had made plans to meet my mom for lunch yesterday, she had recently returned from a trip to the Dominican Republic. My mom stiil needs to have a 'reason' to see me, and I am OK with that today! The 'reason' yesterday was that she had brought me back some American smokes...love those Marlboro's, and no I am not planning to quit smoking TODAY! I look forward to spending time with my mom today. I have grown to love and appreciate her more in these few months of sobriety than I ever did before! When we talk on the phone I always say "I love you mom", before we hang up, and she never used to say it back (ouch), but the last few times we've spoken she has said " I love you too Babe". I always knew my mom loved me, but it warms my heart to hear the words from her today. PS, mom forgot to bring the smokes with her LOL

I began my day in the usual way, blog-stalking, doing my readings, having something to eat, and I chose to let Angel sleep. She had asked me to wake her up, but I was a little afraid as we did not have the best night the night before. I figure that she would not be happy with me anyway, so I opted to take care of me and get ready to go meet my mom. So about twenty minutes before I was ready to leave, I woke Angel up and told her I was leaving in fifteen, I know it did not really give her enough time to get ready, but I was kind of in self-preservation mode! She was not happy with me (big surprise) and asked if I WANTED her to come to lunch or if I was going to make her day a 'living hell'! I told her that I did want her to come with, but it was up to her to have the kind of day she chose to have. I got ready, left Angel some bus tickets and the keys, told her I loved her, and left the house! While I was getting ready though, Angel sat on the stairs watching and baiting me, but I didn't bite! Change is good!

On the way to the bus stop, I picked up a couple of scratch tickets, I know, I have to be careful there, and I am, but it is a small indulgence that I enjoy today... Anyway I won $50.00...WOOHOO. I felt rich! I had also received a check that was in the mail and actually WAS in the mail and actually arrived!!! So I made a decision to spend some money ON ME... OOOHHH, don't know if I can do it, must remove the receipts so I can't return stuff later (when the guilt sets in!) When I got to the mall, I was early, so I had some time to look around, and saw a sale!!! They had winter coats on for 50% off, and I found one that I loved and it fit! It was marked down from $375.00 to $129.00 and another 50% off that! The last time I bought a winter coat was about four or five years ago at a second hand shop, it cost me $25.00!

I waited for my mom to arrive (she had my youngest niece with her, yay, two for the price of one on hugs too!) and then went to show her the coat...of course my mom decided that she needed a new spring jacket, and are ya gettin' where I'm going here? She paid for my coat too! I no longer argue with my mom over such things, as it apparently is in the genes...my mom and HER mom used to argue over who paid for what ALL the time (in a loving way). Mom would give my grandma money for food or gas, whatever and grandma would put the money back in mom's purse then mom would find it and hide it in the cookie jar, then grandma would find it and put it under moms' pillow.... you see, it is no use telling my mom to NOT pay for stuff, better to just say thank you, I appreciate it!

With the money I didn't spend on the coat, I decided to get some new ruuning shoes, again, much needed as present running shoes have a hole in the bottom and are about four years old (and no MC, I will NOT be RUNNING in my running shoes!) So at the shoe store what do I see? Another sale!! Oh life is sweet today... I had a tough time deciding between two pairs, but opted for the more expensive ones, they were all leather and were marked down from $50. to $23. and who in their right mind could pass up a deal like that! So I go to put the other shoes back and when I went to pay for the first pair, a miracle happened...into one shoe was stuffed a twenty and a ten!!! So I ended up with TWO new pairs of runners! One of the pairs is black with turquoise stripes and black laces with turquoise ribbon laces , too cute, and my favorite colours. The other pair is white with pink striping on them, nice and summer-ry! I LOVE new shoes and (I think) I deserve them and I even wore the black ones last night so I can't return them!!! Last night Angel and I went to the woman's meeting, which was great, full of love and laughter, I think I'll probably attend it every week.

Today I woke up to another great day, funny how I seem to be having more and more of those lately! I really am so grateful to be able to choose the kind of days I have, life just keeps getting better. When I got up I discovered a message on the phone from a very busy friend who I had thought abandoned me, but no, it's not always about me! Friend actually and truly DOES have a very busy (and stressful) life and offered to kick my butt the next time I indulge in I-think-she's-mad-at-me-for-no-apparent-reason thinking, and what could possibly be better than a good old ass-kicking from someone you love and who loves you?

That's all for now friends, no, no, don't thank me (for ending this here) 'cause you all know I'll be back later! Have a great day ALL...



10 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoy your sneaks~
I love your post about thinking your friend was mad. I can not think of one person who has not had that thought at some time in life. Great stuff~
Have a great weekend~

Meg Moran said...

Your life is a roller coaster huh? Ranting daughter....$$money in shoes!! Up, down, Whee! Life on life's own terms. You are one amazing mama....keep on keepin on. The alternative to sobriety sucks....today we feel it all, but damn at least we feel it.

Steven said...

What is it with women and the love of shoes? ;)

Steve~

ArahMan7 said...

Am I lucky too. First, a comment with no air time for me! Second, for being beautiful and caring soul. Oh boy, I'm in cloud nine doing the chick (en) shack (still remember those dance move, LG?)

Thank you for the love. I shall definitely give you air time for that!

May you be lucky, always.

Judith said...

You sound great today! I was thinking yesterday, too, that I'd forgotten that every day is not going to be a good day and that doesn't mean I am not working my program. That's just life being life.

Your mom has another "excuse" to see you since she "forgot" the smokes, eh? It's neat to hear the relationship between you and your mother evolving. I am a bit envious, but very, very pleased for you.

Enjoy your shoes and coat!

~Judith

Recovery Road London said...

Lmao - blog stalking

Thanks for making me laugh and helping me stay sober today. :)

Sober Steve said...

You can stalk me anytime Girl. Love your comments. Its great that you went shopping just for you. It is a selfish program, you first.

Peace
Hugs and Kisses
Steve

Zanejabbers said...

Wearing your new winter coat will be like having a hug from your MOM whether or not she's around. You and Angel have a great Spring Break.

Shadow said...

having a brilliant day i see! enjoy!!!!

Granny said...

Happy sober St. Pat's.

I like the way you lead most of your posts with something from the Big Book or 12 and 12.

A friend of mine was asking how to get one post to stay at the top and I notice you do that with the Promises. Mind telling this computer inept person how? I can't remember now who asked but i'll put the instructions on the blog.

Thanks much.