Sunday, March 11, 2007

A PEACEFUL SUNDAY

AA Thought for the Day

By having quiet times each morning, we come to depend on God's help during the day, especially if we should be tempted to take a drink. And we can honestly thank Him each night for the strength He has given us. By listening to other members, by working with other alcoholics, by times of quiet meditation, our faith in God gradually becomes strong. Have I turned my drink problem entirely over to God, without reservations?

from 24 Hours a Day

I am noticing each day how much easier it is for me to keep turning it over. I was at a closed discussion meeting last week, a womens' meeting. We were reading and talking about Step one. It was a great meeting, one that I had joined in my quest to develop new and healthy relationships with women in recovery. There was really good and honest sharing going on, stuff I could certainly relate to. One woman shared how much work it was for her to feed her daily habit. As a mother with two children under the age of four, in the winter her quest for her DOC's would involve dressing two kids in their winter stuff, putting one child in a car seat , the other in a booster seat, driving to the liquor store, taking child A out of the booster seat, getting the stroller out for child B who had fallen asleep in the car, and putting child B into the stroller without waking him up! Going into the liquor store ( for less than five minutes) then doing every thing in reverse order to get back home again! Of course this was a daily routine, can you imagine the insanity of it all? I know you can!

There was another woman who I had seen get her two month chip, actually it was not that long ago. She shared about how she had been struggling lately and that she had planned to pick up a three month chip that evening, but something in the readings had caused an awakening of sorts within her. This woman had actually drank on one night and realized that even though she really wanted that three month chip, she hadn't reaaly earned it. At the end of the meeting she picked up another desire chip. I for one was very grateful that she had the courage to share about her slip and also to begin a new, honest program for herself. It showed all of us how important honesty is in the program.

A third woman , who I have seen at a few meetings, shared too. I am still trying to figure out how I felt about what she had to say. I know that when something 'sticks in my craw', it is because there is something about that person or situation, that I need to look at in myself. I am hoping by writing and sharing with you today I can figure out the lesson that is here for me to learn... This woman has been sober for just over three years (wow, amazing, I hope I will get there, I think to myself). She said how when she first entered the program she would tell everyone "I am an alcoholic!". As we all know, sometimes this information is probably better when kept to 'safe' people , as not all of the world is as accepting of us as we are! I kind of know what this is like though, in my first attempt at recovery, I told everyone, I think in part 'cause I needed somehow, to come to terms with my new identity. Today I share with some and not with others, it depends on the situation and who the person is.

This young woman had a lot of stuff going on in her life. She attends university, she has two jobs, she has a social life, you know a lot of balanced living stuff. I liked what she had and it appeared that she was working a good program. Then she said that she lived with her parents and had not told them that she was an alcoholic! OK, I am not judging (or am I?) but I just didn't get this! She said her parents were very conservative and that they just wouldn't understand how their daughter could be one of us. But then she said she thought maybe she hadn't told her parents because she felt shame by admitting she was an alcoholc. I guess I can kind of understand this, but I so don't feel that way today. The thing is, for me, if I were living with my parents I think I would feel dishonest in a way by not telling them what a big part AA was playing in my life.

When I shared I read the part of Step one that says "....first we were smitten by an insane urge that condemned us to go on drinking, and then by an allergy that insured we would ultimately destroy ourselves in the process..." So many parts of my alcoholic life were as insane as this. Like I kind of thought that nobody really knew how bad my drinking was, yeah OK!!! Everyone shows up at work with unexplainable bruises and black eyes! People at the liquor store knew my name and what I drank and even suggested new products that they thought I might enjoy! Who hasn't hit the ATM at two in the morning because they have run out of money and need more to buy more (drugs). INSANITY? I would say so!!! Oh and having my child removed from my care and continuing to drink everyday for months afterwards, if that doesn't reek of insanity then I don't know what insanity is!

For me, I don't always want to be honest, I mean if I was wrong about something I don't always want to say "I was wrong" or if I have hurt someone by my words or actions, I don't always want to admit it and ask how I could make amends. But my program teaches me to Be honest and to MAKE amends to all persons I have harmed, and if I am unwilling to do this I need to PRAY for willingness and guidance, and if I do not do these things, I know that I will drink again! Maybe that is the lesson I am to learn from this, to not be judgemental and just focus on what I need to do for me today. I shared that I am not proud necessarily to be an alcoholic, but I am definately NOT ashamed. I am so grateful that I have a program that teaches me how to live (a better and more honest life). There are a lot of 'earthlings' out there who would probably benefit greatly if they were lucky enough to be alcoholic, 'cause then they too would have a program to help fight off insanity! After the meeting a woman who had many years in the program came to me and thanked me for sharing, ME, she thanked ME! She said it was good to not be ashamed and also grateful to be an alcoholic.

It is a gorgeous and sunny day out today, and we are having a heat wave of OVER O degrees celcius (that would be 32 in farenheit, probably the only conversion I can make accurately!). I think I am going to wake my Angel up and go enjoy some fresh air and excersise. I plan to have a great day today and unless you've made other plans, I hope you too have a great day! Later all.

7 comments:

ArahMan7 said...

I used to say like that third friend of yours, "My name is Noor Azman and I'm an addict" to everybody. Even to non-NA until someone pointed it to me how wrong I was!

sometimes this information is probably better when kept to 'safe' people - how very true it is.

FYI, you has been tagged.

lushgurl said...

it is very right though, you should feel comfortable with your self, no matter who you are talking to or who you are trying to impress. written by Angel

Mary Christine said...

I agree with Angel! I don't tell everyone, but if I needed to I would. Certainly my whole family knows and all my friends. Many of my co-workers. It has NEVER come back and bit me in the butt. NEVER.

Granny said...

How much or how little to say is an individual decision of course as are most of the decisions in a program with no rules.

I was quite open; possibly much too soon. I burned all my bridges. However, it immediately took away my fear of anyone seeing me walking in the door to a meeting. Anyone who mattered already knew.

I don't know why your friend was reluctant to tell her parents. I do know that when I told my birth mother (who died a practicing alcoholic) it started (or perpetuated) a war between us that lasted until the day she died. She would never accept that I could no longer drink or even that I had a "problem". I finally had to fall back on Al-anon (where I started until I realized I should be in the other 12 Step program) and let her go with love.

sharonsjourney said...

Hi Lushgirl, Thank you for your comment. I'm new at this, & I've been getting comments every since I've heard from Noor, God bless him. I am a virgo also. I go to 2 women's meetings, & I love them, I've met & made friends with some great women, who help me in my recovery. I have some really good men friends too, tho. I'm an open book to most people, & after talking with some people & reading these comments, it's ok. Remember, we're as sick as our secrets. But yes, it's best to stick with safe people.

Steven said...

It's been incredibily hot here lately as well.

Plus, I had to drive into Palm Springs for work a couple times last week.

Palm Springs...it was 110 degrees up there. ;)

Steve~

Judith said...

I think it all depends. In Noor's case, I think perhaps where he lives it is not quite so safe for him to be open about his addiction. I believe he has mentioned that it hurts his business and possibly his family. Those are very strong reasons to keep this information private.

For me, however, I have not found compelling reasons to be silent. I certainly am not broadcasting my alcoholism, but I am open about it. Maybe that is because I did not get into public trouble with my drinking, but I feel I have the opportunity to set an example in my sobriety.

Regardless, I think each of us should be able to choose what we feel comfortable with. I would imagine that it is difficult for that young woman to live with her parents and not tell them such a critical part of who she is. But perhaps it really is for the better in her case. There's no way for us to know.

Awesome post!

~Judith