Wednesday, April 25, 2007

ENTERING A NEW DIMENSION

I have been blessed in my life that a couple of struggling alcoholics have reached out to me lately. Make no mistake, I do not take this lightly, nor do I let this be a measure of my own importance. I have had some really rough times in recovery, as we all have had. I have felt the need to go back out there on a number of occasions too, as a few of us have. I am no different, no better, no worse than any of my fellow AA's. If in any way I can impact the life of just one person suffering from this disease, then my work has only just begun. If , in my life, I can carry the message that for me, AA IS the easier, softer way, then perhaps I am doing a little giving back. We can only keep what we have so graciously been given if we give it away. For me that means embracing this program of recovery and all of the promises that have come true for me today. It means I will ask only to know what His will is for me and to have the courage to carry this out. It means I will love and accept myself today, in all my freakishness and all of my imperfections, because as a good friend often reminds me, I AM God's baby gurl!

Here is today's Daily Reflection's...

In the late stages of our drinking, the will to resist has fled. Yet when we admit complete defeat and when we become entirely ready to try AA principles, our obsession leaves us and we enter a new dimension- freedom under God as we understand Him.
As Bill Sees It pg.283

I am fortunate to be among the ones who have had this awesome transformation in my life. When I entered the doors of AA, alone and desperate, I had been beaten into willingness to believe anything I heard. One of the things I heard was "This could be your last hangover, or you can keep going round and round." The man who said this obviously was a whole lot better off than I. I liked the idea of admitting defeat and I have been free ever since! My heart heard what my mind never could: "Being powerless over alcohol is no big deal." I'm free and I'm grateful!

I remember so many years ago, at the very first meeting that I had found the courage to take that mile long walk and receive my first white chip. The man who was doing the chips that night said "This is a full refund guarantee, if the results of this program are not satisfactory to you, you can return to your misery." Everybody laughed at his humour, but at the time I thought, how ridiculous, who in their right minds would choose to go back to all of the misery that drinking caused us. The answer is simple for me today: No one!!! If and when we make a decision to pick up that first drink or drug, we are not in our right minds. For me my right mind includes allowing my HP to lead me, having gratitude for the absence of the obsession to use and carrying the message in all of my affairs!

Today I am grateful/thankful for the following:
  • that there are people today that want what I have
  • that there are many people out there whose program I desire- serenity, self acceptance, many 24 hours of recovery
  • that dAAve pointed out that my video distracted him from reading my post- Hey dAAve...I disabled it just for you!
  • I live in a safe and loving home today
  • I have been eating actual food for breakfast
  • I am free from the obsession to drink/use today
  • all of my wonderful AA friends who share their E, S and H with me, and their difficulties too!
  • I am learning to not judge me for the mistakes I make, but to find out what I can learn from them
  • ALL OF YOU!!!

It's All Good Bow Down Thank You

16 comments:

Sober Steve said...

I really think you need to change the title of your blog to Yogreatmomma. As one of the ones that you have helped thanks. i posted a differnt one a few moments ago.

Thanks
hugs and kises

Nael C. Robes said...

I love the 12th step. It keeps me in such a place of gratitude.

Pammie said...

hey I like steves idea "yogreatmama". good post darlin'.

Syd said...

From reading what you write, I think that you will be a wonderful sponsor. You have a lot to offer. Glad that you are helping those who are struggling. I've seen just a few people pick up their white chip and it was very moving and inspirational.

lushgurl said...

Hey Lash..If you come by, it seems that I can't come to visit you... THEY say I hafta be invited, HMMMPPHH !! If ya have done it on purpose I'll understand, but I'll keep coming back to try 'cause I'm alcoholic like that ! LOL

Gooey Munster said...

Um ya I am liking the "yogreatmama" LOL
Thank you love for your love! I sent ya an email and am so grateful for U. I hope to help others as u do some day, crap-o-la maybe I am even though I am not completely well.

Love you Love you Love you!!


Oh, did I say that I love You!!! :)

Mary Christine said...

Yogreatmomma sounds good to me, but you know how picky I am about names... hmmmm.

Granny said...

Definitely yogreatmomma. You don't have to be humble all the time; besides you're not the one who suggested it.

Shannon said...

I agree with sober steve and everyone.. YOGREATMOMMA : )
sweetie you are soo cool thank you for sharing this.

Meg Moran said...

lucky people who you are helping..glad to hear you are passing it on...what a great fellowship we have. yoawesomemamma

Michael said...

Its great to read your lovely messages of encouragement and warmth. I try my best with the AA steps and the way of living but I still must remember no one is expecting perfection.
I feel good after that share on Monday, I got to learn to share a bit more from the floor

Gooey Munster said...

Just wanna stop by and give you a Cyber Hug and a "MUAH!"

Michael said...

Blimey that made me jump, I was looking round wondering who was talking to me when your blog started singing.
Its true with your recovery you get to a point and then plateu and then jump forward in another quuantum jump.
I have been looking round for another dating site, Match.com looks promising but its £64 per session blimey, still I might give it a try.
Yes you are right God had other ideas but you still gotta row the boat if u know what I mean, I am sure God doesnt want me in a monastery!

sharonsjourney said...

You got the program gurl! I think you'll make a wonderfull sponsor, & you certainly have the right attitude about it. They are lucky to have you. Yoawesomemamma is fitting.
I went back out a number of times too. I had so much shame when I came back. Not because of the way anyone treated me, I was welcomed back by most. There were a few hardliners who didn't. They waited to see how long I'd stay 'this time'. I understand that today. Today, they welcome me. I'm hear to stay, one day at a time. Good post!

LY Sharon

Clarity said...

Hey Sweetmomma, thanks for such a great post. So inspiring!

twodogsblogging said...

Right before birthdays are squirrely times for most people, don't forget. Hang in there!