Friday, April 27, 2007

JOYFUL DISCOVERIES

Here is today's Daily Reflection's...

We realize we know only a little. God will constantly disclose more to you and to us. Ask Him in your morning meditation what you can do each day for the man who is still sick. The answeres will come if your own house is in order. But obviously you cannot transmit something you haven't got. See to it that your relationship with Him is right, and great events will come to pass for you and countless others. This is the Great Fact for us.
Alcoholics Anonymous pg. 164

Sobriety is a journey of joyful discovery. Each day brings new experience, awareness, greater hope, deeper faith, broader tolerance. I must maintain these attributes or I will have nothing to pass on.
Great events for this recovering alcoholic are the normal everyday joy found in being able to live another day in God's grace.

Not so very long ago, I remember wishing that I would not have to face another day. Although I had many moments of good things, maybe even joy, my world had become so small. Each day was pretty much the same as the one before. And one constant for me was the pain I felt. It was the pain of not having my daughter with me, I knew it was my own actions that caused her to be taken from my home. It was the pain of knowing that I would drink again that very day, and knowing that the results of my drinking would likely be the same as the day before. I would have blackouts daily, somedays I would wake up injured, only to guess at what I had done to cause the injuries. I would always wake up hungover, going to the same job, with the same customers in the same sick environment. I wanted so badly to stop the cycle of pain and hopelessness that I faced everyday, but my methods to do so, were indeed just causing more of the same pain.

Today I wake up at unGodly hours, for me! But I have clear memories of the night before. If I wake up not feeling well, I have the faith that "this too shall pass". If it is raining out, like it is today, I can be thankful for the nourishment to my garden. I don't always have plans for each day, but I know that it can and will be a good day if I continue to ask for guidance. I feel love every single day, I have many moments of joy everyday. I wonder what the day will bring, but not with dread.

Today I am truly grateful/thankful for the following...
  • the cleansing rain that is falling
  • my pounding headache is from a cold, not a hangover
  • my daughter has decided to spend the whole weekend with me
  • at my home group tonight, I will ask to celebrate my one year in June
  • my Angel told me last night that she is so proud of me for this accomplishment
  • I am proud of me for the hard work I am doing today
  • I spoke to a suffering friend yesterday, and he is taking care of himself
  • I only have to look around to see the beauty of the program in my life today
  • for all of my clean and sober friends who walk this road to happy destiny with me. that means all of you
  • I am clean and sober today, and happy to be so
  • even though I don't feel great I am still motivated to do housework
  • I have decided to have the inscription "Happy, Joyous and Free" put on my one year medallion
  • I truly wish good things in my heart for all my fellows, and again -that means YOU!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone, unless you have made OTHER plans!!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such a heartfelt post this morning. I love the music, I love the post. :)

Syd said...

I'm glad that you are willing and able to face each day now and take whatever it brings you. You seem to have your own house in good order. Glad that you wrote this today. It's a great reminder to all of us that we have a choice to live with hope.

Tabitha.Montgomery said...

I know what you mean about looking forwards to a new day with out dread.Great post Lush.
Hope you and your Angel have a wonderful weekend together:)

Granny said...

Have a wonderful weekend yourself.

Jocelyn said...

Isn't it a good day when the biggest pain you have to deal with is scrubbing the toilet?

I'm so glad Angel told you she's proud of you. Thats huge!

Sober Steve said...

I'm proud of you tooooooooooo! For me
I'm grateful for a crisis bed
I'm grateful for Long distance phone calls
I'm grateful that you are here

peace
Steve

Gooey Munster said...

What you write about th blackouts, not remembering how u got injured the night before and going to work with all the heaviness from the night before . . .

I understand this HELL and it is really fresh with me right now. Thank you for writing about 'how it was' and following it up with 'how it is now.' I am not alone in my sickness, and it is pure comfort to know others have lived in such Hell too . . . even better that you have and are rising from it.

Love you, one yr coming up, WhooHOooooo!

Nael C. Robes said...

Wow. Closing in on a year. That is exciting. My one year anniversary was one of the best days of my life. My roommate got me a pocket monkey (no, it's not pervy, it's an itt bitty sock monkey that i can carry with me when i get scared)

Clarity said...

Wow, you hit the nail on the head! Waking up the next morning with injuries and having no idea how I got them. The physical pain though did not come close to the spiritual and emotional pain. Memories of that demoralization and desolate hopelessness keep me sober. I don't EVER, EVER want to be in that place again! Thanks for helping me stay sober today.

Pammie said...

great gratitude list...your recovery is really showing !

Meg Moran said...

happy, joyous and best of all FREE ! The freedom to choose is one of the greatest gifts. I remember those days of "no choice"...I just had to get up, go and maintain..what a living hell. I am sooo happy for you. You are one of the new lights in my life.

My Name Here said...

I am with you on the injuries. Wow, that was a scary time for me. You pointed out some wonderful things to be grateful for, and reminded me that no matter what is going on around me, there are things to be grateful for. Thank you so much!!!

Roxy said...

I commend you on your strength. Good luck to you. I will check back soon ROXY

Scott W said...

Great post. Keep up the good work!

Sober Steve said...

HATE You, Hate you, Hate you,,lol. I would never hate you for telling me the truth. Amazing how the women always know what is right. Last night when I alpoigized for reaching over to clean her side of the street, she started to cry, she never heard that before and me being sincere and humble like like. She said then that all that she gave for me to clean becasue she took up the entire street. But Todaay i will let her, I will just find another street to talk down today... progress. Have a great Sunday

Steve