Thursday, June 28, 2007

hAApy hAAlf nAAked thursdAAY to all!

I grew this raspberry all by self...to see more hAAlf nAAked fun click here... http://haalfnaakedthursday.blogspot.com/

Here is a reading from As Bill Sees it, chose by randomly opening the book, to see if He has a message for me...

We do not relate intimate experiences of another member unless we are sure he would approve. We find it better, when possible, to stick to our own stories. A man may critisize or laugh at himself and it will affect others favorably, but critisism or ridicule aimed at someone else often produces the contrary effect.

A continuous look at our assets and liabilities, and a real desire to learn and grow by this means are necessities for us. We alcoholics have learned this the hard way. More experienced people, of course, in all times and places have practiced unsparing self-survey and critisism. pg 151

After I moved away from my parents home when I was 17, I would still go home for Sunday dinner. I enjoyed the chance to spend time with my family, and my moms' great cooking. One thing I did not enjoy though, was that more often than not, my dad, my brother-in-law and my sister would pick on me. I think, at the time, it was not meant to hurt, but invariably, I did feel hurt. The joking around would often take on a slightly cruel theme. They were merciless, and although it may have been tongue-in-cheek humour, it taught me a lesson about 'taking someone elses inventory'. Today, when I hear someone share at meetings, I get annoyed when I hear them talk in "you's". In treatment, I was taught to speak in "I" statements, and I find this is a much better practice for discussing my story, my feelings or my actions.

Today I am grateful for the following...

  • to have another day clean and sober
  • the predicted thunder storms missed us last night
  • I have managed to grow a few (edible) raspberries in my garden
  • new Asian lilies have bloomed today- white with yellow centers
  • my Tiger lilies have begun to bloom
  • AAngel is here for another five days
  • everyday I have the opportunity to learn more about me
  • everyday I have the opportunity to learn more about you
  • for all the things we have in common
  • for each and every recovery peep...that means YOU!

...and if ya enjoyed the first raspberry, here's another one!

Raspberry


8 comments:

sharonsjourney said...

Wow! That's a big rasberry! Looks delicious, I love rasberryies.

I relate to your post so much. Same thing in my family! I think it effected my self esteem, & I was hurt by some of their joking, it got kinda cruel sometimes. They did that when I brought a boyfriend for them to meet, too. They didn't give a very good impression of me. That made me angry, & I was embarrassed. They realize now they were harsh, sometimes. I don't bad talk anyone. If I have something to say, I go to the person, that's what I would want.

Shadow said...

yummy! raspberries!!!!

and i understand that talking in 'i' and not 'you' thing.

Scott W said...

Plus no alcoholic wants to be told what to do, that is why we only have suggestions.

"for all the things we have in common"...'cos there are so many!

Mama Dukes said...

finally figured out the pic thing, thanks for your offer--

yummy looking raspberry

a couple of us reacted to the chair's you and we today in the meeting--

hugs

lash505 said...

Damn I love raspoberries the make me feel like wilderness boy. I actually love them in a pie..yummmm

Meg Moran said...

right on! keep it general, or about yourself. I hate that too.

Gooey Munster said...

Ok I am trying to understand the "yous" versus the "I's." Can you help me on this? I am sure I know what you are talking about but I am lame sometimes and comprehend things backwards. :)

Thanks for more rasberries. It is the only way this sweet tooth can get satisfied.

Glad that you are learning from some painful experiences you endured in the past. Directing the energy for the better will result in freedom from the past pain.

Syd said...

Raspberries are good. Make a pie and send a photo of that. You'll have us all wanting a taste.